- 2020 UbD Summer Workshop
June 22, 2020 - June 24, 2020
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Understanding by Design® Summer Curriculum Design Workshop
June 22-24, 2020
Join Jay McTighe, co-author of the Understanding by Design Framework®, to explore and apply the key ideas of UbD.
How can you design curriculum and learning experiences that make it more likely that students will understand the “big ideas” of content and be able to apply them in meaningful ways? Since 1998, thousands of educators globally, have used the Understanding by Design (UbD)® framework to create more rigorous and engaging curricula, design authentic performance tasks, and teach for deeper learning. In this “design” workshop, participants will learn by doing while applying a set of practical and proven design tools and templates to create or refine a unit of study.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Teachers interested in learning or refining their use of the UbD framework for curriculum planning.
- Instructional coaches and teacher leaders interested in helping their teachers improve their unit and lesson planning, and their assessment and instructional practices.
- School leaders interested in introducing, or invigorating the use of, UbD in their school.
- District leaders interested in introducing, or invigorating the use of, UbD as the curriculum framework for their district.
- Assessment specialist interested in the design and use of more authentic assessments.
- University staff interested in teaching UbD at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
More specifically, participants will learn to:
- apply the “backward design” process to the development of curriculum, assessment and instructional plans;
- use essentials questions to frame curriculum and focus on “big” ideas;
- “unpack” Standards to establish curriculum priorities and determine content worthy of deep understanding;
- explore six “facets” of understanding for assessing students’ understanding;
- create authentic performance tasks for engaging learners and measuring what matters most; and
- examine the A.M.T. as a framework for helping students Acquire knowledge and skills, Make Meaning of “big ideas,” and Transfer their learning to new situations;
- apply the W.H.E.R.E.T.O. elements for instructional planning;
- review strategies for differentiating instruction and assessment;
- examine formative assessment techniques for enhancing learning and performance;
- identify observable indicators (classroom “look fors”) of teaching for understanding and transfer; and
- access a large collection of UbD-supportive web-based resources.
School and district leaders will receive practical ideas and resources for leading and sustaining UbD in their settings.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN YOUR REGISTRATION?
Your workshop registration includes daily continental breakfast along with a selection of snacks and beverages during workshop breaks.
In addition, all registered participants will receive:
- The Understanding by Design Guide to Creating High Quality Units, and
- The Understanding by Design Guide to Advanced Concepts in Creating and Reviewing Units;
- a Quick Reference Guide on Essential Questions (2017)
- a 100+ page workshop e-handout and on-line resources; and
- access to the electronic UbD Unit Planner from Eduplanet21 to support your design work. All curriculum work created in Unit Planner will be saved and can be exported at any time.
Columbia, Maryland is located between Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD, with convenient access to BWI Airport and Rail Station and Interstate Route 95. The workshop hotel is located on a lovely lake featuring a variety of nearby restaurants along with cultural and recreational activities at the lakefront. The Columbia Mall, with its many shops, restaurants, and cinemas is within walking distance of the hotel.
The hotel offers a special workshop rate of $119 per room, plus tax. We will send room reservation information to registered participants in the spring.
Early registration is encouraged since enrollment is limited and this workshop is likely to fill.