Join Jay McTighe, co-author of the Understanding by Design Framework®, in summer workshops to explore and apply the key ideas of UbD.
How can you design curriculum and learning experiences that make it more likely that students will understand the “big ideas” of content and be able to apply them in meaningful ways? Since 1998, thousands of educators globally, have used the Understanding by Design (UbD) Framework® to answer that question and create more rigorous and engaging curricula. Workshop participants will apply a set of practical and proven design tools and templates to create or refine a unit of study.
• apply the “backward design” process to the development of curriculum, assessment and instructional plans;
• use essentials questions to frame curriculum and focus on “big” ideas;
• “unpack” Standards to establish curriculum priorities and determine content worthy of deep understanding;
• explore six “facets” of understanding for assessing students’ understanding;
• create authentic performance tasks for engaging learners and measuring what matters most; and
• examine the A.M.T. as a framework for helping students Acquire knowledge and skills, Make Meaning of “big ideas,” and Transfer their learning to new situations;
• apply the W.H.E.R.E.T.O. elements for instructional planning;
• review strategies for differentiating instruction and assessment;
• examine formative assessment techniques for enhancing learning and performance;
• identify observable indicators (classroom "look fors") of teaching for understanding and transfer; and
• access a large collection of UbD-supportive web-based resources.
School and district leaders will receive practical ideas and resources for leading and sustaining UbD in their settings.
Your workshop registration includes daily continental breakfast and buffet lunch, along with a selection of snacks and beverages available during workshop breaks.
In addition, all registered participants will receive:
Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
10207 Wincopin Circle
Columbia, MD, 21044
Columbia, Maryland is located between Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD, with convenient access to BWI Airport and Rail Station and Interstate Route 95. The workshop hotel is located on a lovely lake featuring a variety of cultural and recreational summer activities. The Columbia Mall, with its many restaurants, shops and cinemas is within walking distance.
The hotel offers a special workshop rate of $119 per room, plus tax. Please note: Group rate available until May 26, 2018. Subject to availability.